Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Hobbies

I need a hobby I have decided. I see way too many things on Hack A Day that I would love to do if I had the knowledge. One of my personal favorites is this POV Clock. It spins a series of lights in a circle so fast that it makes an image. Perfect for an interactive clock. That is what a lot of people use them for. I personally would like to see this used in a car as the speedometer and the RPM gauge or as an interface for the radio (placing a touch panel over it though of course). If spun fast enough and designed correctly, maybe it could be used for video too?

What I do right now as a "hobby" is mostly just computer stuff. I write web pages from scratch for fun. I spend hours just playing with them figuring out new stuff to add and debugging the pages when I do something wrong and break it. If I knew a little bit more about them, I don't think it would take me as long to do a lot of the stuff.
Other things I like to do is to do stuff a lot of people don't do with their computers. I switch between operating systems as if it were nothing. Currently I am using 100% open source software am my laptop (including the operating system. I currently run Ubuntu 11.10). I usually reformat my laptop every few months because it speeds things up quite a bit and it gives me a chance to clear out all the useless crap I had accumulated over the months. I also like to experiment with Mac OS X and put it on PCs. I have a project PC sitting under my desk waiting for me to buy more parts so it will work right with Mac right now.

I also like to work on my Jeep for fun too. Nothing too big has been done with it yet. However I do plan to do a lot of things with it. I plan to make it my "Weekend Warrior" in the next few years. Swapping the engine, more lift, new tires, new paint job, and a bunch of other things. Right now the only thing stopping all this is lack of money. So this is a project that will take a few years to finish.

Geo caching is another thing that I have been meaning to get into. I tried finding some of the ones in the Malad Valley (there are a lot of them actually). Here is a map of what caches there are in and around Malad. I couldn't find the ones I tried. I will look more this summer though.

I guess I have more "hobbies" than I thought. Can't hurt to add more though right? Ha

No comments:

Post a Comment