Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Decisions... (And Some Background)

I have been debating something a lot the last two to three months. I'm not happy here. There is just something that I am not fulfilling in myself here. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it is the lack of friends? Either way I think I am going to ISU in Pocatello for a year or so. Then on to Digipen. That it the plan so far.

What is it that I need in my life? For starters, I want to see what it is like to live on my own. Right now I have no rent, no bills, and have just recently got a job. Don't get me wrong, it is nice not having bills and rent to worry about, but I just want out really. I'm tired of having nearly everything provided for me. It makes me feel like a "moocher." So the plan goes as follows:

  • Get through this semester at Weber and hopefully pass
  • Work the whole month of May to make enough money for a few months worth of living expenses
For the summer: 
  • Either help my dad with the farm this year and spend a full summer in Malad (for maybe the last time in a long time..)
  • Or move to Pocatello in June and find a job so that I can start saving up money for college and other expenses. 
After summer:
  • Go for a year or so to ISU (part time (for a little))
  • Either get my degree there or transfer to Digipen and get a degree in game design
  • Go from there....

Right now, I want to be a game designer of some sort. when I was reading though one of my friend's blogs, they referred to the music they posted as "epic music" (and I agree 100%). When I clicked on the first one, link, I couldn't help but play a game scene that just randomly formed into my head. A few years ago, I used to have this happen all the time. Me and my friend Sam would always share these ideas back and forth. We had dreams back then of making those a reality with our own gaming company of some sort. Then I went to engineering state and saw that biological engineering looked pretty cool. So I kind of went off on that for awhile. I still like the idea (I love biology and love messing with code so messing with the DNA of cells seemed to fit right in). Then I got back into coding websites and doing them for fun and that sent me back to wanting to be a software engineer. I love being able to make and fix my own stuff. Since I am not artistic by any means, this is the only way I have to show off that ability. My friends blog only reinforced the idea even more. 

The only pitfalls to this plan are that since I have been living in Utah for almost a year, I may not be able to get in-state tuition at ISU and I will have to pay for rent and bills. I still think it is more than worth it though. My life here is school and work. At least there it would be school, work, and friends. Will it be harder? For sure. Worth it? I think so... 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That would be so awesome, seriously! I would play your video games :D haha I also think that's a pretty good plan. Not paying bills would be nice, but I think my life (as pathetic as it is lol) really began when I moved out of my parents' house. I think you meet more people that way and as long as you are careful with how you spend your money (meaning paying the bills first and not living outside of your budget [which I wish I was better at myself lol]), then it's a great way to go! :) Also, isn't the music awesome?! lol Eventide is one of my favorite ones too. :D haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. If I could get my ideas from inside my head into a file on a computer, it would be amazing. Not paying bills is nice but then it is kind of like living outside of my means (that is how it feels like to me at least). I just spend it on whatever. I need to practice making a budget and sticking to it. I think moving there will be better for me all around. I will be happier and I'll get more life experience. I appreciate what my aunt and uncle have done for me so far (and I will let them know that some how..), but I need to do this. And the music is awesome. Eventide reminds of the starting music for the game Prey. (Which I guess I never finished after reading the story line of the game on wikipedia. oops ha) But originally it did make me think of someone traveling across a barren field or past battle ground on their journey to another place (or something along those lines).

    ReplyDelete